Emotional Flashback: Why You Can’t Seem To Move On
There is a misconception about PTSD and C-PTSD amongst many of the populace.
For many people, they believe, assume, that PTSD and C-PTSD are exclusive only to people who have been in war or have been raped or seen something tragic like a murder!
However, PTSD and C-PTSD are NOT only exclusive to the former examples I have given.
In fact, people who have had the unfortunate experience of growing up with narcissistic parents, or people who have dated a narcissist for years to decades can experience PTSD and C-PTSD in the form of something called emotional flashbacks.
Emotional flashbacks are not at all too dissimilar to war flashbacks that soldiers experience!
And this is not a hyperbolic statement!
Living with a narcissist, especially growing up with a narcissist, is like going through a warzone.
You are on edge ALL OF THE TIME!
Abuse comes in MANY FORMS!
In this article, I want to explain what emotional flashbacks are and reveal to you why it is so hard to move on after leaving the narcissist in your life!
I know it can be difficult to heal!
Feel free to check out this article, “The Top 10 Largest Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Groups” to see if there are any support groups in your general area that you can go to meet up and tell your story!
And understand this, YOU ARE NOT THE BAD GUY!
What you went through WAS NOT YOUR FAULT and YOU DID NOT DESERVE THE ABUSE!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU!
Emotional Flashback: Living With A Narcissist Is Like Living In A Warzone
According to Pete Walker, “emotional flashbacks are a complex mixture of intense and confusing reliving of past trauma from childhood. It is like living a nightmare while you are awake, with overwhelming sorrow, toxic shame, and a sense of inadequacy.” – The Living Hell of Emotional Flashbacks
For many of us who have left the narcisisst in our life and who have not yet healed, wonder…why?
Why haven’t we been able to heal?
“Wasn’t divorcing or going No Contact suppose to be the thing that helped me move on with my life?”
Why are you still suffering after all these weeks, months…YEARS???
The answer to this is because you have just exited a war!
It can be frustratingly difficult to get help and to get others around you to understand the pain you have been through.
And this is primarily because many people assume that injuries are only visible scars and wounds!
Abuse comes in many forms (The Different Types Of Narcissistic Abuse)!
Emotional abuse can leave you hurt YEARS AFTER leaving the narcissist.
The betrayals, the lies, the cheating, the constant verbal abuse and complaining day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year — CAN TAKE A TOLL on one’s heart.
But also…our psychology!
The gaslighting, the smear campaigns, the “turning everyone against us”, the cyber-bullying, the stalking, the harassment, these can all slowly but surely crack our psyche!
The reason you are not healing is that your heart and psyche have not been properly been tended to!
Emotional Flashback: Why You Can’t Seem To Move On
The reason that you have yet to heal is that you have not tended to the wounds properly.
Yes, you may have separated, but separation is only part of the healing process. It is not the WHOLE healing process!
What separation is…is the solider removing the bullet lodged in their leg!
For the wound to properly heal, there must be a cleaning of the wound, a stitching up of the wound, antibiotics that are taken to stop any infection, and time to rest.
Without any of these, healing is NOT possible.
What you need to do is:
- Talk To a Therapist or Meet Up With Other Survivors: This is the cleaning of the wound. This is you letting out the pain, the hurt, the sorrow, the guilt, the remorse, and the shame. It is you cleaning your wound with your tears! Your tears serve more than just releasing the pain but cleansing your spirit and thus your heart and psyche!
- Getting Back In Touch With Things That Make You Happy: Rediscovering all the things that made you happy will be the stitches that keep your heart and psyche held together! Doing activities that shift your focus to things that genuinely bring you joy is what will keep you from…falling apart!
- Meditation: This serves as your antibiotics. Waking up and meditating on the day you want ahead of you will prevent you from reliving the days, weeks, months, and years behind you!
- Acceptance Of What They Did: Finally is acceptance. Accepting they will never apologize for what they did and accepting that this was just a lesson for you — will allow you to rest your troubles and move on with your life!
Empathic Warrior: It’s Time To Heal
Understand that you a warrior. A person who fought in a war that MOST PEOPLE will never know about!
There is courage and honor in fighting in a war and coming out of that war stronger, wiser and better!
You may feel alone, but I promise you there are many other WARRIORS out there who know your pain and struggle!
Linked below are Free and Paid services that you can reach out to, in order to properly heal:
- Online Therapy – They offer a FREE working therapy package for new sign-ups. Sign up today and get 20% off your first therapy session with my affiliate link!
- The Top 10 Largest Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Groups
- 13+ Free Mental Health Apps: They Are No Substitute For Mental Health Clinic
Struggling With C-PTSD?
I often say that living with a narcissist is like living in a war zone! This comparison may very well seem hyperbolic, but research has shown that living around narcissists can have the same effects on a person’s mind as people living in a war zone!
I wrote an article describing the “10+ Mental Illnesses Caused By Staying With Narcissists“.
These people are monsters, plain and simple.
If you are struggling with emotional flashbacks, dealing with mental and emotional battles that NO ONE but yourself seems to see and feel, and if you find it hard to get out of bed every day, you may be dealing with C-PTSD.
As great as support groups may be, or as profound as articles can be, they are no substitute for professional help.
Sometimes the best way to heal and move forward is with therapy.
Speaking with someone and getting the hurt off your chest is a great way to unload.
Online Therapy is a site that offers visitors the chance to speak with professional therapists who will be able to help you get through your emotional and psychological battles.
If you sign up with my link, you can get 20% off your first month’s session.